This week in P.E. the Year 3/4s are focussing on their sprinting technique by setting up a 100m track somewhere around home and focussing on the following technique.
Here are the basic elements of correct sprinting technique:
1. Hold your torso straight and vertical.
2. Hold your head still, but relax your face and neck.
3. Bend your elbows at 90 degrees.
4. Pretend you are lightly gripping a small bird in each hand.
5. Pump your arms so your hands travel from “hip to lip”, and keep your arms close to your sides.
6. As you pump your arms, keep your shoulders steady but relaxed.
7. With each stride, lift your front knee high (“knee drive”) and straighten your back leg completely to deliver full power.
8. At the start of your sprint, keep your strides short and quick. Lengthen your strides as you gain speed and momentum